When vMotioning a VM (specifically the .vswp file) residing on an NFS datastore you may see the following error.
vMotion fails with the error: remote host IP_Address failed with status Busy
This issue originally occurred in vSphere 4.1 but appears to have reappeared in vSphere 5.5 Update 2.
Luckily there is a workaround for now, until VMware can investigate and resolve the problem.
The workaround is to modify the advanced setting “Migrate.VMotionResolveSwapType” from the default of 1, to 0 on both the source and destination hosts. If you want to solve this for your entire cluster, then every host needs to be modified.
- Launch the vSphere Client and log in to your vCenter Server.
- Select the source ESX host and then click the Configuration tab.
- Click Software > Advanced Settings > Migrate.
- Under the Migrate options, locate the line containing Migrate.VMotionResolveSwapType. By default, it is set to 1.
- Change the value to 0.
- Click OK.
- Repeat Steps 2 to 6 for all hosts in the cluster.
The official VMware KB is below.